Tuesday, May 2, 2023

A poem to my elderly plucky cat Oscar

Borrowed Time
Paul Klusman

My plucky cat my Oscar now
Is thin and old and yet somehow
He holds his tail in sturdy cheer
And holds the line another year

"How much longer?" I ask my friend,
"Before you face your final end?"
"How many of your nine lives gone?"
"How many suns to greet the dawn?"

He does not answer as cats are wise
And never given to compromise.

Pausing now for self reflection
I consider how, in the other direction
My cat could ask the same of me
How many sunsets might I see?

How did we meet in time and space?
As ever towards our resting place
We step along the daily grind
Side by side 'till one day find

The other gone and walk alone
The other gone and empty home.

But here for now your shining grace
And here for now your lovely face
To fill the hours of the afternoon
To feel your presence in the room

To share the joy of company
To hear the quiet symphony
Of moments passing out of time
Fixed here now in verse and rhyme

And breathing living sitting near
I'm glad that you're still here.




17 comments:

  1. Lovely but I'm crying ๐Ÿ˜ญ

    ReplyDelete
  2. PayPal gift for Oscar kitty medical: https://tinyurl.com/Oscar-Kitty-Medical

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, it did make me cry. I’m glad you’re both still here. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet!❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently struggling with a new kitty, after losing Yseult and Collage. I waited just short of a year before going to the shelter and taking home a 3 yr old boy. I'm having a little trouble bonding. He hasn't given me his name yet.The ideas range from Ko-Ko to Goodboy Bindle Featherstone of Quirm. Every day (It's been a whole week) we have benchmarks. I made a really horrible mouse toy for him today and he loves it. The comparison, though, with my girls still haunts me. Hugs to you and Oscar. They are our children and it's so hard to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for opening your heart and your home. Kitty appreciates it even if he is taking time to adjust. <3

      Delete
  6. Similar feelings here with my 19 yr old orangey cat. Love for Oscar ๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my... hits pretty close to home Paul... very touching ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  8. "How many suns to greet the dawn?" such a beautiful and heart wrenching sentiment ๐Ÿ˜ญ We are so lucky to have the chance to exist alongside so many great furry companions in this lifetime <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cried as I have an elderly Oscar too. Beautiful poem, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me cry. It's beautifully stated, and I am glad you both are still here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful tribure to a great friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been reading and watching your creations since the days of "Engineer's Guide to Cats". Oscar's raspy old-man meow makes me smile. How wonderful that you two found each other so long ago. And how wonderful that he can count on you for mercy and compassion when he needs it most.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely poem, made me tear up when thinking about my cats. They are young right now, eventually the time will come as well. Only hope they grow old without too much pain and suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful poem for a handsome kitty..and yes, I'm crying.

    ReplyDelete