Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Poetry. Memories of day excursions in my Uncle's camper with two families packed in and headed down the road on I-94 in North Dakota.

Day Trip I-94
By Paul Klusman


Just a few miles out west of town

Out beyond the city limits

A stretch of pavement flat and true

Deep in my memory elicits.


A journey towards distant horizons

To points then unknown

Along a stretch of highway

In a lovely motor home.


We move with steady motion

Past endless stretch of prairie

With waving tall grass sentinels

To witness our windswept journey.


The motor pulls and the tires hum

As we cleave through the morning realm

My cousin is there beside me

Uncle Don is Captain at the helm.


Aunts and Uncles and Mom and Dad

And the kids together we roam

We’re out and back in a single day

By evening we are home.


Life is movement through space and time

We are travelers on an endless stage

I savor the feel, the sight, and the sound

As these words move onto the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment